Sunday, September 29, 2013

Clorox, I have faith in your products, but your content needs a little help

I'm what you might call a clean freak.

I have a cleaning schedule to keep the house how I like it. I vacuum (because sweeping doesn't get all the dust) weekly, and  mop every other time. I disinfect the kitchen countertops before and after preparing a meal, and then I finish them off with Windex to eliminate streaks -- and the appliances get Windexed, too. I scrub the bathrooms every week until they smell like undiluted Clorox, because they're not really clean until they do. I disinfect doorknobs and light switches throughout the house, and scrub away scuffs on the stairs and baseboards with a Magic Eraser. I could go on and on (but I won't).

In a perfect world, I'd stay on my little schedule, and everything in my house would be always be clean. But it's not a perfect world, and there are messes around every corner.


Luckily, my husband has enough sense to not do that. But, Clorox certainly makes it easy to clean up such messes quickly, which is why it's one of my favorite brands as well as one I'd be proud to represent.

Women (and to a degree, men) are embracing homemaking like it's 1950, and Clorox -- a housecleaning staple for the past 100 years -- should be a part of that movement. Clorox already has a lot of great cleaning and laundry tips on their website. However, these features are not being promoted well elsewhere -- like on Clorox's Facebook or Twitter accounts. What Clorox is doing on Facebook and Twitter is providing sources of interaction for its followers. And that's a good thing. But it should also be mixing in quality content, such as blog posts on how to get red wine out of your carpet or how to make a dingy undershirt white again. Clorox is in the business of making cleaning everyday messes simple; the brand already represents the best of cleaning, so why not share that expertise through blogging and social media?

In this age of "new domesticity," Clorox's Pinterest boards should be chock full of cleaning tips that subtly incorporate their products, but it's sparse so far. I have a cleaning board on Pinterest (I named it Cleaning Queen), and there are many more clean freaks on the network collecting tips for tidying and disinfecting. Clorox could easily be the source for many of these pins. Because Pinterest has an a particularly engaged homemaker-type audience (users spend more time there than Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn combined), Clorox could take the cleaning tips beyond just getting this or that stain out. How can Clorox help clean the crevices in your bathroom that are surely full of germs? How often should you bleach your sheets or towels? How long should whites soak in Clorox, and how do you properly dilute it? Clorox could also address questions like these on their YouTube channel, which is currently mostly ads. Granted, their ads are pretty funny.


But in addition to introducing these creative messes, how about some videos on how to clean things up? Creative advertising is great, but content is king.

I'm borderline obsessive compulsive about keeping my house clean, I'm an experienced social media professional (check out my resume) and I'm a believer in Clorox products. If you guys at Clorox decide to kick up your content and your social media presence, I'm just the clean freak to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment